Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Fred Thompson: A little known fact

Fred has stated many times that he was in favor of revamping the tax code. Did you know he wants to pretty much eliminate the IRS? It's true. Read it here. It's listed under Tax Reform.

This sounds good to me. A properly written tax code should be understandable by a 16 year old working his first job. It shouldn't require what has become almost an entire branch of government. For instance, it has over 100,000 employees and an operating budget of almost $10 billion annually.

I'm sure, realistically, that we will always have a department like the IRS, and while I don't really expect sports car-esque streamlining from my government departments, I don't think it should cost the government ten billion to collect taxes either.

No comments: