Friday, October 12, 2007

How did we end up back in the 70's?

And for that matter, why the hell would we want to end up back there anyhow? Was it the inflation we miss? The unemployment? Maybe it was the energy crisis? That must be it, the energy crisis.

A handful of washed-out has-beens want to put the rest of us modern Americans right back in their glory days of gas lines and double knit reversible slacks. The story is here. I suppose that it is appropriate that this is being run by the Communist News Network.

These yahoos want to put the brakes on our country's progress in nuclear power and slow down our move away from the dependence on fossil fuels.

It rankles that they refer to the progress we are making towards our safe and responsible pursuit of nuclear power as a "Stealth" effort. Stealth? I suppose the President of the United States of America mentioning that we as a country should be pursuing nuclear power during his State of the Union Address doesn't count as sufficient public notice?

President Bush's exact words, in his 5th State of the Union Address, were:

"To keep our economy growing, we also need reliable supplies of affordable, environmentally responsible energy. Nearly four years ago, I submitted a comprehensive energy strategy that encourages conservation, alternative sources, a modernized electricity grid, and more production here at home -- including safe, clean nuclear energy. My Clear Skies legislation will cut power plant pollution and improve the health of our citizens. And my budget provides strong funding for leading-edge technology -- from hydrogen-fueled cars, to clean coal, to renewable sources such as ethanol. Four years of debate is enough: I urge Congress to pass legislation that makes America more secure and less dependent on foreign energy."

Pretty steatlhy, huh? The richest part of this farce, in my opinion, is that it is being spearheaded by Bonnie Raitt. I may be wrong, but I'm not entirely sure that an incomplete education from Radcliffe College in African studies qualifies you to talk about nuclear power.

I'm tired of musicians and actors thinking they know more about what is right for America, just because they are famous and rich. I think they routinely exercise their money and influence in a way that is disproportionate to their population in society and therefore spread tyranny and oppression through their campaigning for their pet causes. I want them to go back to entertaining, not preaching.

I think anyone, in this day and age, who doesn't think that nuclear power, as well as solar, wind, and geothermal energy need to all be part of our energy future is living under a rock. They need to get their free-love, patchouli oil huffing ass into the real world and get with the times. This ain't the 70's anymore, and I don't want to go back to the dark-age that it and the Carter Error, I mean, Era, represents.

I tried to make a response to the CNN article, but the comments are being moderated, and I suspect that since I would be submitting just another comment inline with the 50+ already there that my comment won't appear--it wouldn't be in keeping with their liberal minded "Fairness", after all. There were already more than 50 responses to the article calling it anything from mis-informed to irresponsible. I'm proud that my fellow Americans have educated themselves about the modern realities and science that are making nuclear power safe, and haven't hesitated to tell CNN and Bonnie "I wanna live in a VW Bus" Raitt how ridiculous their article is.

But I will let you judge for yourselves, here is a link to the NRC's webpage describing the advanced reactors that are to be built: http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/new-licensing/design-cert.html

I'll leave you with a little story:

Bonnie Raitt decided to fly cross country, and as she is a washed-out has-been, found herself in coach. She was sitting next to a gentleman with a pocket protector and slide-rule and she asked him what he did for a living.

"I'm a control room operator at a nuclear power plant," the man replied.

Bonnie started into a tirade about the evils of nuclear power, when the man interrupted, "Have you ever noticed that rabbits, cows and horses all eat grass, yet a rabbit leaves little pellets, horses leave large horse apples, and cows leave patties? Why is that?"

This stopped Bonnie in her tracks. She thought and thought, but had to admit she could not come up with an answer.

"Well," said the man, "If you don't know shit, what makes you think you can talk intelligently about nuclear power?"

1 comment:

Old Man said...

France receives about 80% of its electrical power from nuclear reactors. In 1974, just after the first oil shortage shock, they decided that they would do what they could to reduce the dependency on fossil fuels. For all their faults, the French continue to do something right! The United States has only about 20% of its electricity from nuclear power (CNS News Sept. 25, 07). I well remember the lines at gas stations in the early 70's. If we had lines today, perhaps something would change as to how nuclear power is perceived.