Monday, December 3, 2007

Merry Tossmass!

How many of you are offended when someone says Merry Christmas to you? Not me. How about Happy Holidays?

I'm offended by "Happy Holidays". I only celebrate one "holiday" (by the way, holiday is a combination of the words holy and day) in December--Christmas. The suggestion that I practice pagan rituals, Islamic kowtow-ing to Mecca, or Kwanzaa, a make believe holiday, invented in 1966, offends me.

Besides, do those people buy Christmas trees or gifts?

I understand that Jews celebrate 8 days of gift giving during Hanukkah, and honestly, as a Christian who understands the roots of Christianity is founded in Judaism, I don't mind being wished a happy Hanukkah any more than I would get offended if someone wished me a Happy St. Patrick's Day. Jesus probably spent many a happy winter evening playing with a dreidel like other little Jewish kids. Besides, at least some people haven't gotten away from multiple days of gift giving! Other than that, however, who else is doing holiday shopping?

It turns out that only 1.6% of American families practice a Kwanzaa observance, and most of them already celebrate Christmas anyhow, so you probably won't offend them.

You are offending me, however. This year my family and I aren't shopping at any store that doesn't advertise Christmas. If it's a "holiday" flyer, it goes in the trash with nary a look. Christmas? Let's take a look.

Remember this, retailers, by trying not to offend the 4% of Americans that do not celebrate Christmas, you may be offending the other 96%

Check out this video that captures my feelings exactly...

3 comments:

Old Man said...

I have made it a point to say to anyone who says "Happy Holidays" to respond with "Merry Christmas to you." Several times I have had people respond "Thank you and Merry Christmas to you too." The good wish for the celebrated birthday of Christ is more widespread than commercial concerns realize.

Anonymous said...

Retailers would just assume renaming it ‘Merry Commerce’ and be done with it. To many, CHRIST is the savior of their souls; however, to retailers he is simply the savior of their bottom line. Give credit were credit is due (no, I do not mean the ability to spend without cash in hand). This seasonal shopping spree is to celebrate the birth of a man (and/or God or god) whose existence you may or may give credence to. Regardless - tis the reason for the season.

Merry CHRISTmas.

Anonymous said...

I too am not shopping for CHRISTmas gifts at any place that does not wish to recognize the "savior".

Retailers would just assume renaming it ‘Merry Commerce’ and be done with it. To many, CHRIST is the savior of their souls; however, to retailers he is simply the savior of their bottom line. Give credit were credit is due (no, I do not mean the ability to spend without cash in hand). This seasonal shopping spree is to celebrate the birth of a man (and/or God or god) whose existence you may or may NOT give credence to. Regardless - tis the reason for the season.

Merry CHRISTmas.